Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A heart with four chambers

This is an email Katie sent to our parents after a visit to the doctor yesterday:

So, the Bean isn’t a Baby alligator. Nope, we aren't having a baby alligator. We are having a baby human, complete with a head, a spine, a heart, a bladder, two arms, and two legs. Last night, I started worrying that the Bean would be missing an arm or a leg, which we could deal with. Then I started worrying that the Bean was missing a head, which we couldn't deal with. Then this morning, while swimming, I thought what if the Bean is something else, like a baby alligator.

But, thankfully, the Bean is healthy and, at least, looked pretty happy. We are absolutely thrilled. The heart has four chambers, the legs were moving, the bladder was full - what more could two parents ask for?! We saw the spine and the main leg and arm bones—good to see that all the ice cream I've been eating has paid off in the calcium department. All of the measurements put our due date right on the 1st so the Bean is growing just as expected.

We've got pictures, as well. Looks more like a baby than a bean BUT it is still hard to tell what is what in each picture. It was helpful to have Dr. Youngkin tell us what exactly we were looking at. Apparently from the position of the Bean, he couldn't tell what we were having either (which makes me happy as it means that he won't be able to slip up and tell us!)

Love you all,

Katie


(The pictures starting in the upper left-hand corner and rotating clockwise: The Bean’s head smiling toward the camera; the Bean reclining with a bright spinal cord and a heart with four chambers; a bent leg in the fetal position; and a bent arm).

3 comments:

Jen Constantine said...

You'll get the alligator when he/she is a teenager...trust me, I have three almost teens...and the alligator comes out once in a while! What I wouldn't give for a bean now and then!

Anonymous said...

Looks like she is going to be a cutie (sp?)... just like her parents :)

Anonymous said...

I love the weekly emails about the size of the fetus. Wait until they say it's the size of a tennis racket. WHAT??? I think the shrimp was my favorite one.