Monday, May 31, 2010

Ben's first two days

Little Ben's first couple days have been busy at GW. When he was not eating, sleeping, pooping, or being circumcised, Ben was meeting family and friends.

Aunt Bums stopped by for some love.


An took some great pics while she was there:



Grandma and Pop Pop Klingler also visited, taking a break from holding things down at our house.


Big sister Maya also made a visit. She was very excited to see both mamma and Ben, and confirmed that her little brother does in fact have a nose, mouth, eyes, and ears. There is video of the meeting, which I'll post as soon as I have the time/energy to edit and transfer it.


Among other things in the hospital room, Maya liked Ben's hat.


And was very interested in mamma's health, watching carefully as one of GW's amazing nursing staff gave Katie antibiotics.


I was able to spend a little quiet time with my son tonight as well, dropping a few shush shushes, singing songs, studying him carefully, and watching the little man's every move.


He looks very different than Maya. He has bright blue eyes.


His profile has an Elmer Fudd/Benjamin Button look (in a cute, baby way).


The reality of long, sleepless nights, and the balancing act of caring for an infant and toddler is starting to sink in. It is surreal no more.


And it is all very, very good. There was a time when I thought that life with a beautiful wife and a healthy, happy daughter was absolute perfection; that it just couldn't get better. And now, a son.

It is clear to me why most people say that some of the best moments in life are when their children are born. For me, the moments of birth are great, but the very best moments are in the hours and days after--when Ben first smiled at me this afternoon; when Katie leaned over to me and shared how much she loves being a mother; or when Maya reached for my hand when we walked into the recovery room for the first time.

This amazing journey continues and exceeds my expectations. Tomorrow Ben comes home.








6 comments:

wendywayne said...

There is one shu shu crying for joy in California. This blog really touched my heart. The photos are precious. Aunt Bums did a very special job. There is no greater pleasure than seeing your own son so fulfilled and surrounded by the wife he loves and the two children who will bring him a lifetime of happiness, just as Larkin continues to bring to me. Speaking, by phone, with Katie today filled my heart. Thank you

Ms. Maghuyop said...

Congratulations to the whole family! I'm so happy for you and Katie. Your children are beautiful, and very fortunate to have you both. All the best to you!

Hope said...

Your family makes my eyes leaky! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the b&w pic of Ben wrapped up! amazing! much love and(healing to Katie). Welcome to the world of two kiddos!
Hope

Unknown said...

Beautiful family!! Congrats, again!

Saro said...

Oh my goodness you guys, you must be SO proud! He is perfection, and Maya is already an awesome big sister. You all look so happy, CONGRATS!

Susan Reep said...

Your words really turned the fountain on. It's overwhelmingly powerful to remember that special love and the closeness a young family shares. It's all good. Love you all.