Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Waiting Game…

It could be tonight or it could be a week from now. So, we wait.

The last several days has kept us very busy. With graduation last weekend and most of this week spent tying up loose ends at work before the baby’s arrival, we haven’t had much time to sit around and think about when this thing will happen. Now, during the long Memorial Day weekend filled with what seem to be sporadic, minor contractions, we’re waiting.

Last weekend was a whirlwind of graduation activities. My brother, Benji, and cousin, Ann flew in from California, and my best friend, Marshall, and his girlfriend, Ruthie drove down from Dallas. While waiting for Benji and Ann at the Austin airport, I looked up from my book to see my mom standing in front of me. I yelled, “mom” and three women turned around. Her oncologist cleared her to fly a few days earlier and the surprise made the weekend. Katie attended every single event—a BBQ, the ceremony, a lunch, and even planned a party for 40 people at our house.






Yesterday at work, my colleagues threw Katie and I a wonderful shower with tons of awesome gifts, words of wisdom, cake, and punch. 90 percent of my office is female, most of who are mothers and grandmothers, so we’ve spent lots of time at work during the last few weeks talking about Baby Tackett’s pending arrival. Before meetings about affordable housing regulations, my colleagues and I sometimes warm up with a high level discussion about the costs and benefits of disposable versus cloth diapers, or how to get enough sleep during the first few weeks after the birth. My manager, Lora, insists that spicy food is the key to starting labor, Mona cracks me up with stories about how much her son Junior loved his pacifier, and Frances has repeated a great bit of advice—“A happy momma makes for a happy baby.” Working with so many moms has meant not only tons of great advice about childbirth and parenthood, but also an amazing level of love and support during this exciting time.








A few hours after the shower, Katie and I watched the new Indiana Jones movie with Luke, Abby, and Jonas, watched the Lakers blow out the Spurs, and then welcomed Katie’s parents back to Austin. Bob and Nancy stayed at the house last night and then headed up to Dallas this morning to baby-sit for my niece and nephew. As soon as we have more regular signs of labor, they’ll be on I-35, headed back south to Austin.

And so it goes, we wait.

1 comment:

Susan Reep said...

We are all excitedly waiting! Nice pictures of the graduation weekend - from another attendee! It was so much fun.