Sunday, June 22, 2008

My turn

In a sleep-deprived moment of weakness, I offered to do the next blog update. So here I am staring at a blank computer screen and realizing that writing a blog entry really is as difficult as Larkin said. There is so much to say as our lives have completely changed in the last 13 days, yet trying to put that change into words is an impossible task. The bottom line is I am completely in love with both my daughter and my husband (and pretty darn proud of how well Abe has adjusted to Maya’s arrival). Everything has just become more perfect since Maya Drake joined us. For example, this morning all 4 of us were laying in our bed (don’t worry – Abe and Maya don’t sleep in our bed), Larkin and I were reading the Sunday New York Times and drinking coffee – I couldn’t imagine a more ideal Sunday morning.


Maya and I have slowly established a routine of feedings and sleep with the occasional walk with Abe thrown in. She is a champion sleeper and eater. We also dance several times a day, which seems to be the surest way to quiet any cries – she is her mother’s daughter as she seems to have a particular affection for Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, and Broadway show tunes. Of course, a substantial part of my day is spent with Maya Drake in my arms and me just staring at her, marveling at the fact that she is my daughter and that this amazing little person is the Bean.

I was very fortunate to grow up in a household where I never doubted my father’s love for me or his love for my mother. Watching how my dad treated my mom really shaped what I looked for in a husband. Maya will never doubt that her father loves her or me, and I am grateful that Maya’s first impressions of how men should treat women will be based on watching Larkin. He has been an amazing partner in this adventure… Larkin was so wonderful and supportive during labor and delivery. He is currently working part-time; it is so comforting knowing that he’ll be home by 1:00 each day which allows me to take a nap or run errands and gives him the opportunity to bond with our daughter (as well as watch the European soccer tournament – we are rooting for Turkey, which if you have watched any of the games you would know why.) Larkin has also taken charge of cleaning the house, grocery shopping, etc. But it is more than just the ice chips, the breathing directions, the mopping, and the diaper changing… the pure joy he takes in Maya makes me fall more in love with him daily. I am very lucky.

Larkin taking a much-deserved nap.
One of my favorite pictures...


We are also very fortunate that friends here in Austin are scheduled to bring us dinner every other night for Maya’s first 3 weeks – it has been a great way to introduce Maya to our circle of friends as well as takes a major to-do off of our lists. Thank you to everyone!



Danny and Susan Nold came to visit... and practice their baby-holding skills. Maya is looking forward to meeting Virginia Nold!

Her first attempt at tummy time left something to be desired... but it did make us laugh!

So did her first playdate with neighbor Anna Kreager (born on June 10th)!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie- your last blog brought tears to my eyes. I think you are doing wonderful expressing yourself and of course as a new mother!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how cute the Bean is! She is wonderful- and lucky to have such wonderful parents.

Susan Reep said...

Katie, you said exactly what I have tried to convey - impossibly -until you experience it for yourself. How you can spend hours and hours just staring at every single little twitch and move your baby makes, truly marveling at it all. It is such an amazing miracle to create a child. And Maya is impossibly beautiful and fortunate.

wendywayne said...

Shushu (that's Kikuyu for Grandma) from Bakersfield continues to gaze at this wondrous child and her two perfect parents and think "what a wonderful world." Maya is surrounded by unconditional love, a mother and father who express themselves so eloquently, a peaceful environment and the essentials of life. What more??? Thank you for sharing so openly!!

noldmax said...

Welcome to the blogosphere Katie! It already feels like a richer place with you here. You guys are doing a great job with the blog. The plentiful pictures make it a breezy pleasure to read. I look forward to more, and I'm considering a baby blog of my own now!

Anonymous said...

wonderful words katie - we have enjoyed the sunday morning webcam broadcasts between bakersfield and austin - watching the love beem from great grandma loretta to maya drake brings tears to my eyes - four generations connectioning in cyber space - far out!!!! - we are so lucky getting Katie in the wayne/tackett dna pool - but the real winner is maya drake, having such wonderful, loving parents - i love blogs - send more blogs.....grandpaji

Anonymous said...

I myself was surprised at how un-beanlike the Bean turned out to be! Lucky for her you gave her a short name, so no excuses for a silly nickname like "the Bean" to stick.

Having spent the last few days with a newborn myself (did I tell you I'm in Norman?) I know exactly what you mean about being enthralled by a little human who sleeps 20 hours a day.

Saro

Susan Reep said...

I have to say that anonymous (besides signing who he was) completely gave away his identity by saying "far out!"